Oaktree Anglican was formed in late 2014 upon the merger of St Mary’s Caulfield and St Clement’s Elsternwick. St Mary’s and St Clement’s entered into a partnership in 2012 to work together to offer more targeted ministry to young adults, with a view to combining into a single parish spanning both sites.
The church operates with a single pastoral team and offers four weekly Sunday services tailored to the needs of people of different life stages and worship preferences.
Oaktree Caulfield (St Mary’s) was founded in the 1860’s and the existing bluestone church was dedicated in 1871. The Jubilee School on the corner of Hood crescent and Glen Eira road was built in 1887 to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Jubilee.
Oaktree Elsternwick (St Clement’s) was a church plant from St Mary’s in 1886. Its current site was established in 1915.
Oaktree Anglican has a long tradition of outward-looking mission. The first Australian missionaries to Korea and India went out from St Mary’s and St Clement’s churches in the 1800’s.
One of our founding members was Sir George Stephen, nephew of William Wilberforce. Sir George was instrumental in the abolition of slavery throughout the British Empire.
Oaktree Anglican has strong links to the wider community. It helped plant a number of local churches including:
St Clement’s Elsternwick (now Oaktree Elsternwick)
St John’s East Malvern
St Stephen’s Gardenvale
St Paul’s North Caulfield
St Catharine’s South Caulfield
Through our history, our members have been involved in establishing several institutions including:
Caulfield Grammar School
Shelford Girls Grammar School
Church Missionary Society (CMS)
An historical overview of St Marys, written to celebrate 150 years of ministry in Caulfield and beyond, can be downloaded here.